Can’t sleep due to the stress of Moving Day? Don’t worry – this happens to almost everyone. It would be great if we could take moving stress and put it into a box, tape it up and shove it into a truck. But the fact is, moving is considered one of the 10 most stressful events in one’s life.
Organization and planning is key to a successful move. Being prepared will help you tackle the challenges that will pop-up when you least expect it and hopefully make your moving day a little less stressful.
Here’s a quick list of the essentials:
- Block out your calendar. Give yourself more than enough time to pack for the big day.
- Get supplies. This seems like a simple step but we can’t stress enough how important it is to have enough boxes that range in sizes and bubble wrap to protect all breakable objects. You will also need packing tape, and permanent markers so make sure you get these items ahead of time.
- Assign tasks. Family and friends are huge life-savers during a big move. Luckily, you can simply delegate tasks which will help clear out rooms in no time.
- Tell your neighbors. If you live in a condo building this will avoid any elevator congestion, and if you live in a neighborhood it may help free up parking spaces for your family and friends.
- Stay hydrated. With all the kitchen accessories packed up make sure you have extra water bottles for yourselves, and for your movers.
- Walk-through. After all items are moved out ensure you do a walk-through of all rooms, basement, attic, garage, and storage rooms.
- Unwind. Sure, getting everything unpacked and into the place right away seems like the first logical step but it’s important to give yourself time. An extra two days of unpacking will really go a long way so you can tackle each room individually.